Friday, March 11, 2011

epiphany


When I woke up today I figured out the answer to my own question two posts ago. Pardon for the seemingly useless nature of this topic. This is my blog, so naturally it will contain everyday rants like this one.

So yeah, about the sense of smell.

I realized that the body jerks only to stimuli that have varying degrees or measurable quantities, namely, decibels (sound of a gunshot), Celsius (splattering boiling oil, or even emotional impact (ghosts or monsters). We would react to a much greater force; that is a given.

Consider this: rabbits are really fragile creatures. If you put one underneath a plastic tub and bang the tub's exterior with a tool for a while, the rabbit with die. It has been ambushed by a outside force, namely the banging sound, which is not in its physical capacity to bear. I guess the human body will "jerk" at outside forces which are "too much" for it to bear also.

Emotional impact does not have a quantitive measurement, but I am inclined to believe it has degrees in its effects. A person will react MORE to a bloodied face of a betrayed and deceased friend, than a bloodied face of a pig in a slaughterhouse. There are people who have a heart attack merely after having seen or heard something horrible.

When it comes to olfaction (the sense of smell) in humans, and this is for the question I had really asked (why doesn't it apply to the sense of smell?), smell doesn't arrive at measurable quantities like how other forces do, and it rather exists in differing kinds. It is a given that we humans don't have as strong a sense of smell as animals do, and we might never really sense its varying degrees.

Though there are objects that exude an aroma more potent than others, but at the end of the day, we really don't deal with degrees as much as DIFFERENCES. It's only a matter of the mushroom's wafting aroma or your cologne's fresh fragrance or the kitty litter stench.

So that's why, I think, the jerking bodily movement would not apply to the sense of smell.

There! I answered it at last! (sigh of relief)

Pardon for this really nerdy post, I know I work for a fashion magazine for kikay girls but in truth I really am and always was a nerd and I do wonder about these useless things. Haha!

No comments: